The target said its sales decreased during the first quarter of 2025.
Target is the latest retailer to calculate the potential losses to his business through President Donald Trump’s tariff policies, and alert about the rise in prices in the near future.
The company, which is one of the major discount department stores in the United States, demanded income on May 21, where it reported the first quarter in the first quarter. Compared to the same timeframe last year, the target sales declined by about 3 % during the first three months of 2025. The number of transactions in the store and online decreased 2.4 %, while consumers also spent 1.4 % less.
CEO Brian Cornell said that the uncertainty around Trump’s prices was a reason why consumers pulled back on costs, even as the full impact of these import tax cannot be felt for a while. He also acknowledged consumer reaction to targeting such programs – targeting such programs – according to Trump’s executive order targeting such programs – its diversity, equality and consumer reaction to targeting efforts.
Target Chief Commercial Officer Rick Gomez said the increase in future prices is the only option that the company is considering to deal with tariff shock. He emphasized that it was a “last resort” option, adding that the target could also discuss new deals with the shopkeepers or change the schedule on which it ordered the product.
“We have a lot of lever that will use the impact of revenue and price,” Goziz said.
During his own recent revenue call, Walmart warned that prices on things like toys, tech and food are likely to be increased and that it is likely to be implemented in the summer. Trump has normalized companies who have been accused of raising prices, especially following the Amazon on the rumor that he will begin to list the impact of revenue in its prices. After Trump’s response, the company claimed that it was never planned.


